On Elves and Beginnings.
"In the beginning Eru, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is called Iluvatar, made the Ainur of his thought; and they made a great Music before him. In this Music the World was begun; for Iluvatar made visible the song of the Ainur, and they beheld it as a light and a darkness. And many of them became enamored of its beauty, and of it's history which they saw beginning and unfolding as in a vision. Therefore Iluvatar gave to their vision Being, and set it amid the void, and the Secret Fire was sent to burn at the heart of the world; and it was called Ea.
Then those of the Ainur who desired it arose and entered into the World at the beginning of Time; and it was their task to achieve it, and by their labors to fulfil the vision which they had seen. Long they labored in the regions of Ea, which are vast beyond the though of Elves and Men, until in the time appointed was made Arda, the Kingdom of Earth. Then they put on the raiment of Earth and descended into it, and dwelt therein."
Such a beautiful book...how obvious is it that Tolkien read the KJV?
Virtual M&Ms to all those who answer.
If you have not already read "The Silmarillion" you must.

9 Comments:
Please don't stone me because I haven't read the Sil..... I just don't have it in my hands so I can't read it. Does it really say that in there?
Pretty cool hhmmm? The shieldmaiden was really nasty one day and picked this passage for dictation--- that was interesting,....very interesting.
I love the Silmarillion, its an Elvish history textbook really, with a few wonderful stories. My favorite parts are the creation story(part of which you quoted)
and the magnificent story of Beren and Luthien.
I am just clueless on all these parts. HELP ME! Well got to go. Later.
Hello?
Darkside and fa-so-la-la?
Are you alive?
Please post sometime soon!
Yes I am alive. What is wrong with you?
Hi guys, how do I become a team member? Why do I get left out?
Thermodude, you are not a member because we can't send an invitation to you if you don't have an address! I really miss getting your emails by the way..... I'll see about sending you an invitation to Darkside's address and he can just be nice about it or face the wrath of the united forces of The Great Fa-so-la-la and The Shieldmaiden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-)
Yes, beat him. muahhahaha. I will try to email you some time. Did you get my letter? Will you send one back?
Post a Comment
<< Home