Saturday, September 24, 2005

Best LOTR website ever

I have found the ultimate Lord of the Rings fansite. Though it does contain Middle-Earth fanfiction, and raves about certain actors, the main purpose of the site is pure Tolkien. There are language lessons, book clubs, serious forums for discussions of the books, and there are many members that are as picky about the movie as Fa-so-la-la. Most of the best parts cannot be accessed unless you are a member, but I found a way to trick them. To register, you have to give your email so that they can give you a password, and since I didn't want to that out, not knowing how scrupulous they might be, I gave my work email right before I stopped working. Personally though, I think you can safely give the site your email, as they are very secure. Even after re-opening my work email, and checking it, I have never recieved any email from them. Under ten people have access to your email, and they have that knowledge only to ban you if you break the rules. The site has very high standards, not letting anyone below thirteen join, and they are very good at banning anyone who causes even a mild problem. Every section of the website has moderators from different time zones so that no section is left unattended for more than an hour. I joined a sub-group of the site, The Realm of Ulmo, and have made some long-distance friends there. When you register, you don't have to give your real name. The people there know me only as Ithilienprincess. The member base is a couple of thousand, I think. Of the friends I have made, most are book fanatics, with a knowledge of the books that permits us to have serious, intelligent conversations. Even when I make friends, I still don't know anything personal about them, except one friend who I know lives in Australia. All relationships are on a LOTR level only, never personal. If you are still uncomfortable with giving out your email, I might tell you my password, if you ask very nicely! The site's name is www.councilofelrond.com Make sure you spell it right, there is a bad site with a very similar name. Please check it out, there is a lot of very good stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger ithchick said...

Please tell me if you do check it out. I'd like to know what you think of it!

9/27/2005  
Blogger beatrice said...

Methinks that I will look at it!

9/27/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home